Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Class reflection.

I enjoyed the class a lot, and i must say, i wish there were more classes like that. I appreciate Dr Smith's nontraditional approach to the course material and big level of independence of research, low key and relaxed atmosphere in class. The blog form of our work presentation helped me switch from stiff academic writing to more casual, laid back style, allowed for some humor and multimedia. The most useful thing I learned from my research for class was my archetype - i turned out to be wanderer and magician. This information helped me embrace my never stopping self, relax and rather enjoy my wandering instead of guilt tripping because of disability to find home. I also enjoyed finding out about "Sleep no more", in fact, being pushed to learn more about this project resulted in my possible employment with the production company. Couldn't be better! :) Searching for Coraline, I also found a job few blocks from home, in a very special book store, which utilizes well my nerdiness and social nature. The final project allowed me to think and make up for the things I thought i was missing in my student experience. And the monomyth structure could not be a better pattern for the types of events I like to produce:)
What I have enjoyed learning from my fellow students most, were the diversity of interest and freedom in projection. What I am looking forward to try on my own, would be the monkey dance (capoeira) and text games. Also, I'd like to keep in touch with the graphic novel guy: I'm much more verbal than visual, and I need team mates who could turn my impressions into images. Frankly speaking, I didnt spend enough time and effort reading into my peer writing. If I could suggest how to make your great class even better, I would recommend to have students read aloud, in front of the class, their best pieces. Reading yourself aloud (can you even say so?:) is a weird, but necessary habit, and you could easily foster it. Also, to get students more involved with each other and promote critical thinking, I would suggest a task, where each student has to find and correct 10 mistakes in others' writing.
That's my class reflection. Now when I have accomplished all my student's tasks, I can go offline and write a story about getting homeless for 3 days:)
PS: please, do not forget to put me in contact with your game buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment